The River Teifi, the longest river which is wholly in Wales, flows 75 miles from its source in Tregaron in the Cambrian mountains to it’s estuary at Cardigan. Meandering through lush meadows and rolling hills, tripping over shallow riffles, crashing over falls and dropping into dark pools.
Afon Teifi is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. It is protected by law and has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest since December 1997 in an attempt to protect rare or unique features or species within it. The site has an area of 778.18 hectares and is managed by National Resources Wales. This SSSI has been notified as being of both geological and biological importance.
Between Cenarth and Cardigan, there is an ancient tradition of fishing and travel using coracles – very simple light-weight boats made of bent sticks covered with waterproofed hide or skins. These are paddled by a single oar used at the front of the craft which requires great skill. The principal use for coracles is for salmon fishing using nets. This form of fishing is now very tightly controlled and the right to fish in this way is passed down from father to son. There is also an age-old tradition of illegal salmon and sea-trout fishing in the lower Teifi.
It is in these lower reaches of the river that the angler can expect to catch Salmon and Sea trout fresh off the tide. It is here just above these tidal limits that the Teifi Trout Association water begins and extends for some 30 miles upstream.
Originally built of rocks across the river it was rebuilt in 1885 by Earl Cawdor (Carmarthen side) and in 1886 by Fitzwilliams of Cilgwyn (Cardiganshire side). It had a leet each side, the Cardiganshire one went to the woollen mill at Adpar (now a private house) and the Carmarthenshire one to a corn mill which in 1909 was converted to a Power House by Roger Parkington to supply the town and Adpar with electricity.
The Power Station still exists with original turbines but does not run due to lack of water. It is in private hands. When the weir was rebuilt a fish pass was added to satisfy the gentry upstream of Newcastle Emlyn. It is now in need of repair with the Cardiganshire weir missing altogether.